Water under a home damages the structure and compromises the foundation. It leads to settling, drywall damage, inoperable doors and windows, and mold.
Why Is Proper Drainage So Important?
- Water around and under the footings causes settling:
– Piers and footings shift
– Doors and windows bind
– Drywall cracks
– Roofs leak
– Floors squeak
- Standing water under a home evaporates and damages the inside of the home:
– Doors, windows, and walls warp
– HVAC does not function correctly
– Mold grows
- Erosion washes away driveways, lawns, and landscaping
- Improper drainage is the #1 leading cause of service
Gutters: A Good Thing
Did you know 30” of annual rain produces 30,000 gallons of rainwater runoff from the roof of an average-sized home? Gutters should be installed on all homes in areas with 15 or more inches of annual rainfall and should always include downspout extensions that channel the rainwater a minimum of 4-6 feet away from the home.
To see water in action, click here.